Two weeks ago I created bar chart to visualize the number of times Jesus quoted from the Old Testament. I used a tool that produces noisy bar charts. As a challenge, I used Tufte’s principles to redesign it.
Steps taken to clean up the bar chart
- Removed the horizontal axis
- Changed grid from gray to white
- Moved the grid from the back of the bars to the top
- Flattened the chart to give it a modern look (not a Tufte principle)
- Moved labels to the bottom – I should have made them smaller
There is room for improvement but I think progress was made. Next week I’ll apply principles by Jacques Bertin to the chart.